Monday, July 14, 2008

Food


At the age of ten food became my enemy. I would eat it, but I would intentionally eat very small portions. I looked half starved and weak. No one really suspected that I was going through an internal battle with my self-image. People just thought I was going through a phase or something. At that time, I would constantly weigh my self on scale, had frequent back pains, and the intense fear of becoming fat. I didn't necessarily strave myself, I just didn't eat enough... purposely. I remember one night my family and I went to a friend's house to eat and although the meal tasted so delicious, I barely finished my plate. " Rose just starved herself." She joked. I was in the dining room when I heard my mother say those words. I ignored them and just shrugged. I thought I was doing the right thing of not eating alot to stay thin. I thought I was okay. I'm not even sure what I was going through back then. Was it really an eating disorder or just an act of self-hatered? Was it a little of both? I honestly don't think I went through an eating disorder, I was just having this uncontrollabe vision of becoming fat. This ordeal went on for about a year, I think. I remember all this vaguely. Towards the end of fifth grade I changed my mind about what I call, "half starving myself. What changed my mind, you ask?

Well, in fifth grade the girls and guys were giving this puberty talk(seperately) and the guest speaker talked to the girls on how being too thin would delay puberty. You won't develop breasts soon enough and your period may come later. I must admit, I was concerned at that age. I wanted breasts and I wanted my period. So gradually, I ate- properly. Now, I can't stop eating. LOL. :) But there is someone I am concerned about- my little sister who is ten years old. Jenny, is her name. And Jenny loves food. She devours on sweets and junk food and would not stop eating those kinds of things. She just can't. I honestly don't think my mom knows what an eating problem is, because her lame " She's going through a growth spurt" does not always fit in the eating situation. But, I'm getting really concerned because the doctor said that she's a bit overweight. Caroline and I (my other sister-14 years old) try to get Jenny to take walks with us (we even gave her a talk) but the little girl won't budge. She simply does not care and it's killing me to see this girl just eating junk without a care in the world about her health.

Maybe I'm overreacting, or maybe I'm still going through an eating problem. I'm trying to gain weight for the wrong reasons but yet again I'm working out and trying to eat healthier because of cheerleading and my tummy fat. Why do some many girls and women go through such eating ordeals? Here are my views: One, the female body gets too much attention. In general, us girls get too much attention. For example, weddings. When the bride walks down the ailse, all is hushed and everyone has their eye on that bride. But when the groom comes, there is no stunning silence and sometimes no awe. Why? I don't know. Two, girls and women are prone to get sucked into the media a bit more easily than guys. Once again, that all goes back to getting too much attention. However, I think the celebrities go through more hell than anyone else when it comes to body image. Celebrities get insecure, probably alot worse than we do since they are told to "change this, change that," everyday.

Cheer quote of the day:"Cheerleading sneakers...$50; Cheerleading Camp...$130; Cheerleading uniform...$175; Being the Cougar Coach and seeing their smiles after coming in second place at CYO competition...PRICELESS" Author Lisa, Staten Island, NY, USA

17 comments:

ellie said...

Thanks for the feedback. Its nice to hear. Although, I know there is always something I should be working on more in writing. But its still good to hear that readers are liking the characters or the dialogue or story.

Thanks again.

You're certainly bringing up some issues that we all face daily. Keep it up.

Skippy said...

Body image is sooooooooo tough. This image of the "perfect" body is a pack of bones, that personally discusts me to look at. Girls in genreal focus on their body more so than boys.

Sharing your experince will help others. I'm out of words, but you have guts.

awesome post.

gossipgirlxoxo said...

I hate the pressure thats put on girls these days from the media. And especially with models.

Thanks for commenting and for the great post!

xo xo

Ada Beth Croft said...

I hope you are better now. Around 10 people thought I had a disorder like that but I was just a scrappy weird creepy kid. I grew out of my shy phase and people got to know me. My brothers will not get off the computer (kinda like your sisters junk habit) I might suggest a game with the whole family outside like monkey in middle. Our family does that and we manage to get the boys outside. Hope it helps. -ada

Anonymous said...

i'm glad ur better. my mom said that she went through an eating disorder when she was ur age. 15. i really liked this post. keep posting, and thnaks for posting evry single day.

Jordyn said...

hey...sorry i havent posted or commented in a while. i was at my moms, and i usually dont get on ther, then i went camping, so i couldnt. i read all of your posts by the way. i fell in love with the post about modesty. thanks for writing it, it was a real eye opener. i think right now everyone has a boring life. its summer. its supposed to be loads of fun, but i cant seem to find the loads of fun part. i love your remedy to a nightmare also. it just makes sense, and im not a Catholic, but it just does. lastly, your food post. okay, i did the same thing. i wanted to be skinny. i always thought i was fat, so i'd eat less. and my brother was way overweight. i talked to him about it, and he did football. he lost soooo much weight, and even tho he still is a bit "pudgy" for his age, hes working on it, and thats what matters.

Maddiey said...

I can relate to that better than you think. Really good post.

Sianne I Am said...

I've never gone through a change in my eating and I can't imagine what it is like, but I totally understand why you went through one. I mean, there is a lot of pressure on girls and its hard to stay away from. My sister is kind of overweight too. I constantly encourage her to become healthier and I try to give her reasons to slim down but she can't find the drive in herself to do so. I feel bad for her, but really, there is not much I can do. She kind of has to encourage herself, you know? If I find anything to help you with youtr sis I'll let you know.

Smara said...

Thanks for the comment! Once again your posts are awesome! I know a girl who is dealing with annorexia, it's terrible. She has emotional problems now too. And a bunch of my friends from church think I don't eat, just because I eat small portions because my stomach can't handle that much at one time. It's kind of annoying they think that though, because I love food. Haha and I definitely do not look like I don't eat.

Good luck with your sister, I'm sure she'll come around =]

Samuel Lago Pedro said...

You're really good... U could be writer... ;) u know what to write about very interesting issues. well, i know two girls that are going throught those type of disorders and they're really sick. :( sometimes we do not know what we are doing and when we think we are doing it right, we are putting our health in danger... we must think about it...:) about our life and not about our body... media sucks. they pressure girls to have the perfect body so much... keep on writing. u'r good. ;)

neonina05 said...

you're totally right, more pressure is put on females than males. and nobody knows why. :(

thanx for the comment. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally agree with samu, you could be writer. Really I do think that. And you're right about what you wrote.

Anonymous said...

Hey haha Weird thing was I was just reading your blog and I was about to post a comment on it. Since I was in 7th grade I really wouldn't say it was an eating disorder but I just don't know what to call it...I stopped eating completely but I eat now I just doing bad things to get it out. I am glad you posted this I think it really highlights the dangers. Wow you are a really pretty girl! and you are also an awsome writer keep it up!! You really do write about alot of helpful things. You are also seem really curious about everything including life and the world which I think is amazing. Seriously Really Keep Your writing up. Thanks for the comment by the way :-D

~Kristin

Anonymous said...

I still bet you are a very pretty girl! Remember what I said keep up the AMAZING writing! :-D

Anonymous said...

thanks for the comment =] and i know the feeling, i'm soo ready for a new room. i love your blog! you're a really great writer, and i totally agree with everything you wrote. i havent personally had an eating disorder of any sort, but i ask those same questions all the time. why DO brides get more attention? i'm sure there's an answer, but I don't get it. I mean, the groom usually looks fantastic too, but nobody says a thing. you have a good point about your sister too. i think one day when she gets a bit older she'll realize that she wants to be healthier

Anonymous said...

oh. my. gosh. I have the same exact problem in my family!! I am an absolute health freak, and I used to skip meals and stuff. and now my sister is just gaining weight by eating so much junk and I'm so worried!!! Luckily I have sort of talking to her about it and she's getting better. I love your blog, keep up the good work!!-Krosemarie

Christina Celeste. said...

I went through a problem like this earlier this year.

its really, really tough.

thank you for showing light to this situation.