Friday, July 18, 2008

Birthdays

My birthday is the fifth of February, and each year I celebrate it. Sometimes instead of having a party, I do cake and family. Those are always the best. I was also thought that birthdays are meant to be cherished and celebrated, because it was the day God gave us life and the first day you were placed in your mother's arms. Birthdays are more special than we think. I've always wondered why( as people get much older) some people stop celebrating their birthdays are they treat it just like any other day. Is it because become old and elderly is frowned upon?(Like my eighth grade orchestra teacher said, "None of us are getting any younger.") Why is that? What is wrong with being old? Because of wrinkles and canes? Honestly, I think being old is a gift. God gave you a long life full of all sorts of things to look upon. How is that bad? And as for wrinkles, so what? No need to boxtox them- unless you want to look unnatural. I wonder... why is a cake always used for birthdays? That probably goes way back into history, and I am not obliged to go into depths about that, more less research that. I just love, love, birthdays because they're such fun. On my next birthday I'm turning sixteen and that is a huge deal for me. Not only can I drive(psh, still don't have that permit though.) but I can finally see myself into becoming an adult. My future is coming alot faster than I expected.

Cheer quote of the day:"If it's in your heart, it shows in your spirit." Author Brookie-woo, Edmonton, AB Canada

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. :)

I'm not sure why people don't like to admit their ages when they get older, probably because they get an uncomfortable feeling as they get older.

Haha! Lucky you, my parents just let me start driving their car a little over a month ago. And I've never heard my dad yell so much.

But I think we should embrace the gift of life as well .. That's what I think birthdays are for, a celebration for the time you've spent on earth.

Callie said...

awesome post =)
i think you're absolutely right. the older you get, i think you should be even more happy on your birthday, because you've been alive one more year.
I'm always really thankful for my birthday, actually.
And I don't think what age people are turning should matter, for the older people. They don't have to celebrate their age. The just have to celebrate being alive. You know?
Thanks for the comment ^_^
hatingviolins.blogspot.com to hit me back xD

Vizarya said...

Happy belated birthday (haha, this is so late... oh well) =]

I think people don't like it when they pass their prime. They lose the ability to do some of the things they used to do so easily before. They don't like feeling helpless/worthless. Still looking young might make them feel better about themselves, though I agree with you; people should learn to grow up graciously and love what they've become.

As for the cake - that was always my question. Apparently it is "just done". So I wondered what people had at parties for those who aren't fond of cake... muffins? cupcakes? cookies? something new entirely? Who knows.

Anyhow, your post is right on. We should celebrate for what is and the prospects for what will be - appearances and media-warped ideas aside.

Thanks for commenting on my blog, btw! I'm glad you like the layout - I got it at pyzam.com (if you ever want to change yours on a whim). Your blog is really cool, I like your thoughtful posts - and it seems we have a few things in common XD

cady said...

Thanks for the comment.

I agree with what you're saying . . . except that I don't really like to celebrate my birthday for whatever reason. I like giving presents and stuff to other people, but I don't like people doing it for me. I wonder why. LOL.

Hannah said...

Great post, and so true! Aging is inevitable, and it's truly a blessing. God meant for us to have wrinkles and white hair, so I say let it happen :]

I dropped by from Katherine's blog, and just thought I'd say hi.

-Hannah

Skippy said...

I love Birthdays, partly because I get gifts. But it's also a gathering of the ones you love! And any time were you can were funny hats that match the table cloth, thats always fun.

good luck with the driving thing.

Samuel Lago Pedro said...

well, i think that day is special in any age... Lucky u!!! here we can drive only over 18 years old... :S now i can... lol

keep on. ur awesome!! ;)

Cait said...

You've got lots of exciting things ahead of you. Embrace each day.

Tiana Cole said...

aww, I LOVE birthdays! :D Whether they're with family or friends or both, they're always a great time. Haha don't worry about the permit thing; I didn't get around to getting mine until I was almost sixteen! It's not a bad thing to get it later than sooner. :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutly love your blog!! you have so much insight in these matters, and you really have a great way of explaining things!! Kudos to you for really explaining things in a way we can understand and relate too. I think you will really get far in life with the incredible way you just tell the truth!! keep up the good work, and thanks for checking out my blog, it means so much to me!! -Krosemarie

Jordyn said...

i agree, birthdays are great, and botox is dumb. sorry i havent commented in a while, i was camping...

Sianne I Am said...

Yeah, birthdays are a celebration of life and every wonder in it. But the botox thing? I think that if it makes you feel better about yourself and you will for sure be happy about it, then go for it. Although I also find it unnatural and so not the way God planned, I think self-confidence is equally important. (NOT sayin I'm gonna get it or anything...)