Thursday, January 1, 2009

Highschool Parties


Happy 2009.
Good things are coming. :)
I spent my New Years Eve at my friend's party, Selena. It was my first highschool house party and I knew I had to be super careful. But then again I said to myself, "Hey, I've known Selena for three years and she's safe. I know she wouldn't let any kind of nonsense happen at her party." My mom was reluctant about me going and we even got into a heated discussion about parties on New Years Eve. "It's dangerous, my mother hissed. "They're crazy people out there, and things happen." At this point in the discussion, I was infuriated. "But mom, I beeseeched, trying to restrain my raising voice.I know Selena, I mean If I knew she drinks and stuff then I won't go. I don't put myself in dangerous situations."

I got slightly emotional and fled from the room. I don't know why this little argument almost driven me to tears. I was just tired of my mother saying, 'no' to everything and for some odd reason, she doesn't even trust me. I 'm a good girl. I haven't done anything wrong or anything really, that would betray my mother's trust. In the end, my mom understood and agreed to take me to the party. She was still a little bit cross. "You're suppose to spend New Years with the family."she snapped. "But we're not even doing anything." I replied, coldly.The party was fun. I recognized a few of my friends whom I haven't seen since the eighth grade. Everyone was kind of grouped up, so when people asked where I was from they all looked quite confused and then someone would pipe, "Oh she goes to that rich school!" I felt out of place for a bit. We watched the ball drop on television when it was time. I mean, it was better than staying at home. I texted Jessica and told her that I would try to get at least one number. I wanted to meet some new guys.

I wore my Homecoming dress and my best earrings, so I was feeling a bit confident. The music wasn't the best, because the boy who was in control of the music kept playing rap and reggaton and it's a challenge to dance to reggaeton( if you can't salsa dance) and rap, well you can't really dance to that at all. There weren't a lot of us and it was kind of dark. Most of the guys were "dirty" and all they wanted to do was be all over the girls. One guy actually came up to me. His name was Ryan and he pulled my arm gently and said, "Hey." I recognized him. We used to ride the same school bus before I went to private school, and he lived right behind me.

He was kind of cute too. "Hi, I greeted back, uncertainly. Why was he pulling me close to him? (This was the second time a random guy has grabbed my arm like that and my friend, Stephanie saved me before it got really awful. )But then my friend, Blake (one of the only decent guys at the party, although he was trying to throw marshmallows down the front of my dress) alerted me and said, "Don't dance with him."Ryan walked off. I turned to Blake. "Why not?" "Because, he's just trying to get all over the girls." Was the response. (Not exactly word for word, but what Blake had informed was a lot worse.) I grew slightly alarmed. "Oh my gosh, thankyou for saving me!" I breathed. I don't grind. Not at all. Never had. Impurity on the dance floor. I would feel like I was doing injustice to myself and to my future husband. You don't have to be all over each other to have fun. You can dance modestly and still have a great time. Works for me.

I kept my distance from Ryan, but he kept coming near me and he would stare at me from time to time. I got really uncomfortable. I hung around with Blake most of the time. Sometimes, Blake would go off with the guys and would give me news such as, "Ryan really wants to dance with you. He said he wants to dance with you so bad. He was like, 'She's the only girl I haven't danced with!' He wants you." I've watched Ryan dance. Even one of my other friends, Annaleigh warned me about him. Ryan would be all over the girl. It sickens me. You're not my husband, please don't touch me. Anyway,I was dancing with my friends Annaleigh and Kristen and he dancing right behind me. (I was dancing next to Kristen)Clearly aware, I turned and faced both of the girls. Later on when I resumed to dancing with my girls, Ryan joined our circle and then asked me with a smile, "Would you like to dance with me?" Dancing, I beamed bashfully and shook my head.
"Aw no?"

I don't like saying no when someone asks me to dance, but after Blake's warnings(and from what I saw) saying 'no' was the best choice. Throughout the party, I tried to keep the tips and advice I read from a book based on the young teenage male mind. I didn't want to come across as some arrogant girl who wouldn't dance with the boys for no reason. I know saying 'no' to Ryan probably made him feel bad, but hey if he was up for decent && modest dancing then I would of totally danced with him. I don't know, I felt like I was being mean. There was another incident where one guy had come up to tell me that his friend wanted to dance with me. Huh? Why couldn't that friend come up and ask me himself? Then again, he doesn't even know who I am, so he was probably shy. "Oh okay." I said. His friend came up to me and took my hand. (He wasn't holding it) But, I have to say, that was the most awkward dance ever. Oh my gosh. It was terrible. We didn't even look at each other properly and we weren't even moving to the beat of the music.

"Do you want to get low?"
What?! I think not.
I smiled and shook my head shyly. I let out a nervous giggle. "No..." The boy laughed uneasily. "Well, alright."Wow, this whole dance thing was becoming so incredibly uncomfortable. I had to leave this boy. I try not to be aggressive with things like this, because I don't want the person to think I'm mean. So, I would always laugh or giggle but I would say, 'no' anyway. I'll never give in. I try to let the guy down without being harsh. "Um, I stammered. "I-I'll be right back." And I dashed off to the other room. Ouch. That was quite rude of me. I probably hurt his feelings. I came back ten minutes later and the boy had already forgotten me. Anyway, most of the guys at the party were all over the girls(expect for Blake). They were some who were really jerkish. "Dude, you were suppose to bring seven naughty girls!" Or something like, "Selena, your party sucks." The girls encouraged the dirty dancing too. Most of the time I just stood and watched, munching potato chips, talking to Blake. Then all of the sudden something hit me.

Where were the adults monitoring the party?
"Oh, my parents are coming home soon."
Say what, Selena? No adults? Selena's aunt arrived and stayed for twenty minutes. She was only four years older than us sophomores, and she was awkward. She grabbed some of our hands to start dancing, and Selena was getting annoyed. Then Blake informed me that Ryan and a guy, Kristoff (who I thought was totally innocent. He's so nice and quiet! We talked from time to time on facebook and he greeted me when he saw me) stole alcohol from Selena's parent's cabinet and were drinking it. "Are you kidding me?" I should of left at that point, but I didn't. Ryan and Kristoff seemed okay. However, there was one girl who was a little bit tipsy and Selena told her to calm down. The girl broke down and all the boys got nervous. I should of left at that point, but I didn't. Everything seemed okay. I mean, no one or nothing got wild. "I'm so thirsty. I sighed. "Is there any water?"

"There's punch, said Blake. "I can get you some, but I think Ryan and Kristoff poured alcohol in it." I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "Oh my gosh. I might as well drink tap water." Blake laughed. "I wouldn't try that either." Selena's parents did come eventually.(when the party was over) Next time however, I'm not taking chances. I feel as if I should of known better than to stay at a party like that instead of leaving, like a good Christian girl would do. I mean, I didn't do anything wrong.

I stood up for my morals and values- No dirty dancing and absolutely no alcohol. (Ryan, Kristoff, and Avni- the girl were the only ones drinking) I did get one number. It's Blake's. I mean we're friends, but we haven't really talked much. He was totally flirting with me at the party. I'm not beating myself over this party. I now know what to look out for at highschool house parties. && for some reason, I enjoyed Ryan's attention. I actually didn't mind him staring at me and telling Blake that he wanted to dance with me really badly. But he wanted to dance with me for all the wrong reasons, so that totally turns me off. However, I was flattered that just a couple of guys wanted to dance with me. That's never really happened before. "You're too much of a little goody two-shoes, Blake observed. "You got that from private school didn't you?" Um no. A lot kids display really bad behavior in private school. Homecoming dance was like the Atlanta club.

-It's the New Year! And, I'm trying to be more happy and positive then ever before.

4 comments:

Soph. said...

Way to go, standing up to him. Guys can be real jerks, and super pushy. But you're an independant girl who obviously can stand up for yourself. He probably stopped pushing cause he knew you could kick his butt. ;)

:P You're an excellent writer, Rose.

Nicole Linette said...

Aw, I'm sorry that was a bad party experience for you :( Sometimes situations like that are simply unavoidable, but you stuck to your guns the whole time!! That's definitely something to be proud of.

Happy New Year :D!
peace&love
nicole.

Ada Beth Croft said...

I can see where you would be flattered that guys think you are pretty. That is how I feel when guys come up to me like that but when they want 'something' I do exactly what you do. Kinda look away and make an excuse. Sounds like an overall fun party. No alcohol! Go you! Bye -Ada

gabriella said...

Aah, first off, congrats on the first high school party!
I can tell you that this is my last year of high school and I don't think I will ever go to a "party" party, I'm more into like just small get togethers.

Good for you for not drinking! Trust me, it's totally not worth it once you start acting stupid. Don't feel bad for being there/partaking in activities, now you just know better for next time.