Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Teddy Bear Comfort

Dear Teddy,
I love you so very very much. You make me feel safe when mommy and daddy aren't there to protect me from the darkness. You see teddy, I can't sleep in the dark without you. I'm afraid the monsters may creep up from under my bed and bite my feet. Sometimes, the night light doesn't work and I can still hear the monsters growling. I get nightmares, Teddy. Real nightmares. I can almost feel the wind rushing through my hair and the monster's fingernails biting down my flesh. I don't like that. At all. So, for my birthday, I got you Teddy. You make me feel good and safe. When there's a terrible storm out there raging through the world and crashing down the trees, I get really frightened. The lighting flashes like no other ,and I swear I can see the windows shake.

Whenever this happens, I hug you real tight. It's a nice feeling that there's someone willing to wrap their arms around when you sleep. It's like they want to protect you and cast away the nightmares and bad feelings. That's what it looks like to me when I see mommy and daddy sleeping. My older sister said, that the way mommy and daddy sleep has nothing to do with nightmares and protecting each other.

"It's just love, Stassi." She said. Love? Really? I hope I get married someday, so my husband can love me like that. Teddy, I know you can't speak or walk or eat but, I know you can see and read my letter. I know you love me, although sometimes when I wake up you're somehow on the floor. I can see your black glassy eyeballs staring right up the ceiling, reflecting my ballerina poster.

But Teddy, I'm writing this letter because you give me good comfort when I'm happy or upset, angry and revengeful. I may be too old for you, but I'm keeping you. You give me the fuzzy, sweet, feelings I get when I eat cotton candy or when I see my sister kiss her handsome boyfriend. But Teddy, I have a question. How do you give me that human comfort? I mean, you're not exactly real to everyone in the world. How do you teddy bears do it? Because, you all do an amazing job.
Never letting you go, honey.

Love,
Stassi
Now question: How would YOU describe the 'teddy bear comfort'?

2 comments:

Christina Celeste. said...

I think that everybody has their own comfort, or 'teddy bear' effect. Mine is writing; oh, how it is quite the teddy bear. The only problem is, if you poke it, words fall out like stuffing! So, no, the metaphorical teddy bear is not one to squeeze.


ChristinaCeleste:D

i'm more like me said...

haha, i still have my teddy bear in my room that my grandpa gave me b4... and he's awsome, and idc what ppl say about me having a teddy bear in my room