Friday, December 26, 2008

Flashback of 2008: Camp Covecrest



I will never forget the weekend I spent at Camp Covecrest.
September 5-7 2008.
Camp Covecrest is a Catholic teen camp in Tiger, Georgia and I spent one weekend there in preparation for my Confirmation. At first, I wasn't too thrilled about going to camp. I was stressing over my weekend homework, missing a school dance, and I was suppose to meet Chris Angel. Who knew that that camp would change my life? Who knew it was worth missing all those events? This camp is a camp full of worship and praise. It was the best and first camp that I have ever been too. The sunsets and the stars at night were raw with such beauty that I have never seen. There was lots of love and comfort all around and I instantly felt a spiritual connection with every single teen at the camp. I made alot of new friends as well. Best of all, I opened myself to Jesus Christ. I considered myself open to Jesus before Camp Covecrest, however, I was just going through the "motions." Waking up Sunday morning attending Mass, not really paying attention to the words and going to youth group without much enthusiasm. Simply put, I was feeling empty of God's love and I needed to set my heart on fire with my faith. And thankfully, Camp Covecrest showed me that love.

At the camp, there was true happiness. Jesus had filled our hearts with such joy that none of the other teens(including myself) had never felt before. The Eucharist Adoration was the most powerful prayer services I have ever been a part of. Finally, my feelings of emptiness had evaporated and I handed all my sorrows, worries, and insecurities to Jesus Christ. I shed tears like I have never done before. All of my make-up slid of my face. Every color of it. My youth minister, Courtney told us that the tears were signs of healing. Everything that we all had done drew us closer as teens, to one another. The music and prayer filled our empty hearts and our aching souls. Jesus' comforting words lingered in our ears and His face appeared everywhere. At Camp Covecrest, I had the best confession I have ever dreamed of. I felt true healing that left me breathless and weak with shame, tears, and joy. I learned a lot about how to live my faith from my adult leaders and I learned how to live by God's Word without hesitation. Camp Covecrest helped me open up to the true love of Jesus Christ. The weekend I spent there was the best weekend I have ever had. I was truly blessed to attend such a camp. Attending this camp was worth missing everything.

I had no desire to depart the camp after the weekend was over. I was thoroughly distraught. I did not want to go back to reality, where people got hurt and where living your faith was a painful challenge. I did not want to return to the impurity that surround me- the greed, the anger. But, I was told that this was not the end. And, when I stepped off that bus to go home, I did not have a clue that my life would change... for good. Thanks to Camp Covecrest, I view life differently and I think differently as well. This camp gave me a brighter light to look under and brighter future. This camp drew me to daily Mass and constant prayer. Who knew that the day after I arrived home from camp, God blessed me greatly with someone very special to me, who would deepen my spiritual life even more. Through out the month of September, I went through a long, intense, period of overwhelming happiness. I felt such joy, that is indescribable. God's love has power.
The proof is here.

5 comments:

Soph. said...

thanks. (:

Anonymous said...

OOh that is WONDERFUL, Rose.
Totally speechless.
Summer break vacay?
CAMP COVECREST.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for your lovely comment!

I love your blog, I've just been reading through a few posts and I love what you write.

I've always wanted to go to a camp. There's one in England called Soul Survivor, I'm not sure if you have it over in the States but it's fantastic!

Last school year, in May, we had a group called 'Mission' stay for a week, they were absolutely fantastic, and definately proved that faith, and God, are not outdated or out of place in today's society. There was such a joy about the whole school during that week and the few following.

I'd love to go to a summer camp sometime.

:) xo

Smara said...

Your first experience with this camp reminds me so much of my first experience with Generation Conference. It's much like what you experienced, but it's for non denominational Christians and it's just called worship, not adoration. It doesnt matter what 'religion' you are, it's your relationship with Jesus that counts. I found myself nodding the entire time I read this post, it really convicted me and reminded me of all of my conferences I have attended and the amazing, overwhelming, life changing experiences I have had in my walk with Jesus Christ. He truly is amazinggg :)

Couture Carrie said...

What a gorgeous photo and reminiscence!

Happy holidays!

xoxox,
CC