Friday, March 20, 2009

James


I met James Kaferney in sixth grade. I met his mother first. She was one of the lunch ladies and was delighted to meet me because my family is Ghanaian just like hers. She was really sweet and squealed happily, "Ah, you have to meet my son James!" I can't remember clearly how James and I met, but we were pretty much good friends. We weren't close, but we were friendly. We never had any classes together and we ate lunch at different times. Talking at school was almost impossible. Freshmen year I entered the private school system again and James remained in public school. We reconnected on facebook last summer and we've been pretty close since then.

Soon enough, I began to know the real James. I began to notice how strange he was. He spoke differently than most teenage guys. He thought in such peculiar ways and was obsessed with the idea of love and falling in love. Whenever he felt something for a girl, he would quickly throw down the "I'm in love with her" card and he's all over the place with it. That is why I don't believe he's in love with his cousin this time.But, he's sweet. He was the first guy to say that I was beautiful. Why I remember this? At the time, I was struggling with confidence. I was feeling insecure and I too, wanted love. However, I never thought of James romantically. Our friend Nicole Acosta, wants James and I to date, and she tried to encourage it , but to me, that wouldn't feel right. I'm just not attracted to him that way. Anyway, we've been texting throughout this week. I've read all of the comments from the previous post about three times each, and took the advice. Thankyou so much girls. :) Here are all the texts:

Day after...
Monday. &&I replied to the text like this:
Me: "I'm here for you. So whenever you need to talk, I'm here."
James: "Thanks. :) You're a true friend! And those are hard to find.
Me: "James listen, I honestly think you should stop seeing your cousin. It's not right. Since she's 21 and all, she can get into big trouble. You should fined someone else... Someone who isn't related to you and closer in age."
That probably wasn't the right thing to say.
James: "I wish it were that easy... it's weird, I think about her almost constantly and even dream about her every night. I imagined a woman like her and guess what. One week later she comes through that door. It's so hard almost impossible, to let someone like that go, no matter the circumstances.
I closed my phone and thought. I couldn't reply to that. Dang. Why does he always leave me speechless like that?
Tuesday.
James: "Hey, thanks for your advice."
Me:" Your welcome. I hope you are okay today. By the way, how long have you been with her? What's her name?"
James: "Hmm we arent't a couple, just have a strong bond... and her name's Sharon."
Today. This afternoon.
Me: "Hey are you going to be home tonight? I'm going to call you so we can talk about what's been going on."
James:"Ok, but everything is better, and I'm in the process of getting over her."
But I thought you were in love.
Me: "That's good. Are you praying about it?"
James: "Do I need to? I found God too, but I don't think I have a good connection."
Me:"It's always good to pray. What do you mean you don't have a good connection? Like ur feeling distant from Him?
James: "I feel like everything I do is a sin, and it's not... I feel like He resents me."
James: "And I feel like I'm asking too much."
Me: "It's your guilty conscience and the devil is trying to bring you down. God never resents. he listens with patient love and He wants us to keep asking and He will give you all you need."
James: "I got loads of questions cuz... since the whole school incident I started believing and I'm new to it, and I don't know what's wrong and what's right in His eyes."
Me: "Ok, we need to talk tonight most definitely.
James: "Thanks."
Maybe I just don't understand him. What if James was in love? But you can't fall out of love just like that can you? How am I to know? I've never been in love.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ee, Guilty!
I "fall in love" every couple of months or so. I have been in love once, when I was very young and I can relate to the always thinking about them thing. But then again I feel a similar thing with all of these other (usually famous) people I "fall in love" with. But it's so quick I'm sure it's not love. But I like it. I like the new feelings and the way the world appears shinier. I am, to a certain extent, in love with love. And yes, I do fall out of "love" very easily. It happens.
Although maybe he's just saying he's not in love anymore because of pressure. Loosing friends and family because of feelings you have must come down hard. Maybe he broke under the pressure and and "did the right thing" as some might say.
But I don't know.

And I also knows what he means about God, I find it hard to get into religion for the same reasons - how do you know you're doing the right thing?
Perhaps, and I hope this doesn't sound nasty or personal, religiong should stay out of this for a little while. I mean, pray and ask for help and guidance by all means, if you want to, but don't try and judge the situation on what you think God wants.

I hope you can both find peace and happiness after this, with sharon or not! But it was so good you text him back. That probably meant a lot to him. You totally deserve a pat on the back for that!

Help and guide him, but do not push him. He's gotta make his own decisions, and only he knows what he's feeling.

Sorry for the essay and hope it helped!
Vixxie.

Ashlyn Potter said...

Im glad this is getting sorted out...I prayed and I will continue to. :]
Ash <3

Sianne I Am said...

Shoot! Honestly Rose, I think there's somethin wrong with him, there is no way I can see him as being sane... well... at least not totally sane. I mean #1, COUSIN??? #2, TWENTY-ONE??? Idk, maybe I'm just so in shock cuz I dont know the kid but that seems a little wierd to me...

p.s.
I miss you! Sorry I haven't commented in a while, I've been grounded. :/

Anonymous said...

I've never been in love either, and to me this whole situation sounds slightly off.

If he were seriously freaked out by falling in love with his cousin, and didn't fall in love so easily, well.. it happens, I guess. It's still a little freaky, but it's legal and some people genuinely do fall in love with their cousins.

But she's 21, he seems to be a little too flighty and it all seems too... I don't know.

Anyway, I know this comment wasn't much help, but I haven't commented in ages and have just read through the past couple of posts :)

Have a great week! xo

Unknown said...

wow. james is a little psycho. lol.

i've never been in love either... in lust, probably... :P

Unknown said...

Points I would like to make now:

1) Someone is not a psycho because they fall in love, even if it's someone the rest of the world thinks is "wrong".

2) 21 is not old.

3) A difference of 5 years is NOTHING! It might sound a lot between 16 and 21 but between 62 and 67 it is nothing!

4)I'll say it again: 21 is NOT old!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.
Keep us updated on this please! I want to know how everything turns out.

^_^