Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fake Cheerleader?

So you're a cheerleader.
You stunt. You cheer. You dance. You shout.
Look into the roaring crowd and flash a smile.
You see the the glares, the ridicule, the snickers.
You can hear...
The stereotypes.
Some say cheerleaders are ditzy, snobby, man-snatchers, and hoochie. Some say that cheerleading is not even a sport. I don't listen to that, because it's not true. Yes, some cheerleaders are ditzy man-snatchers who can't seem to find clothes, but anyone can be that way- not just cheerleaders. I put full blame on the media. Thanks to them, people make all kinds of crazy generalizations about cheerleaders. I always wanted to be cheerleader and I just started this past July. Before that, I was into ballet. My "signature look" is hair ribbons and eye glitter, so people would always ask me if I were a cheerleader. Evan told me that when she looks at me, she thinks "cheerleader." I take that compliment wholeheartedly because I am one, and then again I don't feel like I am. (This where my "lost identity" kicks in. This is part of it)

Let me explain.
I don't cheer at school. I cheer at a gym called Usa Cheers.( I have the link on here so you can check it out if you want.) But the thing is though, us girls don't actually cheer and dance. We just practice the real physical stuff- the jumps, the round-offs, the backhandsprings, etc. It's still cheerleading. Thankfully, I found a gym where I can do both- cheer and flip. I learn all of the cheer motions and I know how to what I call, "cheer sing" but I want to make sure that I am well prepared for school try-outs. Mel is a cheerleader at school and she said that alot of the girls are leaving so, there's more spots for others! Mel got me into cheering and now I've got Evan interested. Lexi might try out as well. She will definitely make it, considering the fact that her mom is a professional cheerleading coach. That would be really nice if we all were on the same squad. That would be fun! I will probably be placed on junior varsity with the younger girls, but honestly I could care less. As long as I am on the squad, I'm happy. I just love cheerleading. I'm really loud and peppy(you should see me in the morning. I'm a real morning person. My family HATES me) And the uniforms at my school are really cute. But, that's beside the point. Please pray for me my readers, because I want to be on the squad more than anything. Jessica thinks that all cheerleaders are stupid and I have to admit that I took it personally, because she's my big sister not mention a friend too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cousin broke all cheerleading stereotypes for me. She is a full on nerd and when she expressed she wanted to be a cheerleader I was like "yeah RIGHT". But she did it. She's in college now but she succeeded in making me think differently about cheerleaders.

Jaerixon said...

you should read my blog

Anonymous said...

I really like this post, because you are absolutly right!! No one should say your something just because you cheerlead!! That's just really petty, thanks for such an awesome post!

Krosemarie

♡♥-$u.™♥♡ said...

i pray for you to be on the cheerleading squad. And to tell you the truth ALL the cheerleaders are mean when i tried to be nice. one 6th grader cheer girl called my besties step sister a B word. But some CAN be nice. good luck!

Red said...

Cheerleading is so a sport. Just ask some of the men who have danced on "Dancing With the Stars", I bet you they thoguht dancing was a sissy thing...not anymore.

What I do not like is how the sport has become so dangerous. With all the flips and throws. Scares the Bee-jezees out of me.

But you keep going and do what you do missy and if anyone thinks it is not a sport, politely and respectfully, invite them to one of your practices and have them be a guest.

I am guessing they will back down from their side of the arguement.

Jordyn said...

we like to call this prejudice. its stupid and i hate it...but anyways, i hope you make the squad!!!