Friday, August 1, 2008

Friendship


Friendship.
Another beautiful gift.
But I keep losing it.
And I don't know why.
During my entire freshmen year, I lost three friendships. Three. That is too many "missed" calls, forgotten laughter, and lost words. The first one ended harshly. My guyfriend, Houston had a crush on me and he wanted to ask me to the Homecoming dance but, he heard from somewhere(the school is way too small. you have to keep your mouth shut) that I didn't feel the same way and he gave up on asking me. Soon enough, Houston started to act like a jerk to me and my friend Chelsea. He taunted me about my hair(He was asking me if my hair was real etc) and asked Chelsea personal questions on why she didn't wear makeup and how much she weighed. Honestly, this guy was just an idiot and he obviously didn't know how to talk to girls. I'm not angry at him still- I don't hold grudges but whenever I think about it, I scoff and shake my head. Houston and I stopped talking. We hadn't talked for several several months and then spotaneoulsy, he greeted me in the hallway and I replied back with a smile.

The second time was also a very good guyfriend of mine. His name was Matt and I asked him to the Sadie Hawkins dance. After that very awkward "I- don't- know- what- I'm- doing" date, we started to have a crush on each other, but we were still very good friends. Matt was pressured by his friends to ask me out and everything but somehow (once again) someone told him that I wasn't ready to be in a relationship. His best friend, Joe keep making visits to my locker and gave me orders to call him, etc. Matt gave up on me, stopped talking, and went onto my friends. Great. That was very painful to me because, he couldn't even stand being in the same room with me. Whenever I enter a room or a group he was in, he detaches himself away from the group or he would instantly leave the room. I just began to ignore it. We talked very little in school, and on facebook he just ignores me. Joe wants us to be a couple, and randomly one afternoon, he texted me and asked me a bunch of questions about my feelings towards Matt.

My sister predicted the reason why he couldn't speak up. She said the reason was that I probably reminded him of his ex. (who dumped him for no reason after two weeks in the eighth grade). No way. It's sad to me because I remember vividly how we first met and whenever I think about it, I can't help but beam. It was a cute little meeting and in a way, our first greeting was sweet. I miss talking to him. I want Matt as friend, not as a boyfriend.

Last was Colleen. She was my first friend in highschool. We met at the math summer camp that our mothers forced us to go to. We hit off right away, and according to my diary, we talked everyday. We were becoming best friends. We talked alot and we spent sometime with each other over the weekends. We would talk on the phone for hours and hours all weekend long and email each other at school. We were extremely close. But, there were several things going wrong. Colleen lies. No, not white lies. These lies were unrealistic and a cry for attention. She told everybody, that her so called boyfriend, tried to get her pregnant. She tried starving herself for attention and she would make up these crazy stories about nothing! Colleen secretly wanted attention. She wanted people to like her and admire her, so she lied. And, she would lie to me consistently, one lie after the other. Come to think of it, I recall Chelsea warning me about her. "You can be friends with her, Rose she said, in a warning tone.But be careful. Don't tell her anything."

She even spilled a secret out(it was minor but I told her to keep quiet about it) after two hours of telling her specifically, not to tell. Quietly, I lost trust and gave my friend another chance. Colleen would gossip, and gossip about my friends. At one point she even used Mel so she can get an invite to Lexi's party, just because Lexi is wealthy. During this summer, Colleen stayed for the weekend. She lied, gossip, etc and that when when I had enough.I called Colleen and I told her I didn't want to be friends with her anymore. I explained to her why, and she busted into tears. She didn't deny any of it. We hung up after twenty minutes and she started beseeching me with text messages. She told me that I was her best friend. Truthfully, I was her best and only friend.

But how can I be friends with someone who isn't true? I felt terrible, because I hurt someone and I don't like hurting people.Tears trickled down my face after we hung up. It had to be done. Colleen sent me an email and once again, talked crudely about my friend Ali(this wasn't the first time) on how she wasn't a true friend. I just sat there and I didn't even bother to reply. When will this girl learn her lesson? The next day, the girl sends another and apologizes on her bad behavior because she had a terrible day or something like that. I didn't buy it. Honestly, I'm done. I don't even want to talk to her.

So, there you have it. Did you notice anything about the three stories? They have ONE thing in common.
Lack of confrontation.
With Houston I just got defensive and boorish whenever he made a mean remark. I didn't pull him aside and told him how I really felt. Matt and I didn't even talk about any of it once. Where has our friendship gone to, Matt? And with Colleen, I only confronted her once. As much as I tell my friends to confront with their boyfriends, I can't even take my own advice when it comes to frienshship. I don't why, but I'm obviously an idiot. Please don't make the same mistakes I did. We need friendship. We need friends for comfort and for just about anything else. Most importantly, we need true friends. Friendship is very very fragile. When it demolishes into pieces, sure can paste together again but like the pieces of a broken vase, it won't be the same. My mother has always told me that in life, I need at least one good friend. Especially when I become an adult. I do have alot of friends who are true to me, and I'm not letting go.

cheer quote of the day- "Cheerleading is all about the smiling and the confidence."

28 comments:

Skippy said...

Good friends are really hard to find. Sure those friends who you kinda know but kinda don't know, are easy to find. But the ture friends you can count on for anything, and who you can tell anything, are like trying finding a needle in a hay stack.

I say don't lose hope, and keep trying to find a friend. Because like you said, we all need a friend.

just,sarah. said...

i wish i was like you. because confrontation is my forte. idk why but i walk up about to throw up and then everything just spills up and theres a huge fight. its really not that great and i think you handled things pretty great actually, anywhoo. i like this blog. i always take forever to get to the point your stories were almost short and sweet(: haha. well i do agree that colleen has to go. but maybe you could try talking to matt and houston again. or atleast figure out what REALLY tore you guys apart.
but try to avoid confrontation dont be like me. because confrontation just starts drama.

MEMEME said...

I really like your blog....I can stop by and read when I'm on my computer...:)..

Katrina :) said...

When I went to school, I had "FRIENDS" who were two faced backstabbers. I haven't talked to ANYONE from that school since. So I had like no real friends in school. I found (for lack of better word) in Girl Scouts/Next Door, at homeschool groups, church, and Derby. So I never had Real friends at school. Just join lots of groups in your cumminity (I can't spell today...still early) that you like. Maybe you can find some good friends there. I have no clue what I would do with out my friends. I love them so much! they're the bestest!

Trina

PhilO♥ said...

aww....3 frnds !! thats sad...but i think its ok ! u seem 2 be really cool !! :)
thanks 4 your lovely comments !!

i'm more like me said...

i takes alot of risk 2 let some1 truely b ur friend, bcuz they know u, they are apart of u that u will leave an unfillable void if they leave, they help 2 complete u much like some1 ur in love w/ bcuz u love them
hey i had a great idea 4 a hiku that came 2 me when i woke 2day, hope i can make it work

turnabout said...

Wow, I'm sorry about that. That's really unfortunate! I know what you mean though.
My friends all come to -me- for advice when something goes wrong but I'm the last one to take my own advice. It's really hard from me too do (confront someone when -I- have a problem) so I can completely understand where you're coming from.
Just so you know Houston might just have felt rejected. I know that guys in my grade start acting like jerks to girls they once liked because they find out that the girl doesn't like them back. (I go to a rather small school as well) It just takes time for them to get over it but once they do they realize that they've been acting inappropriately and almost always try to make amends.

... and I'm ranting again... Sorry =P

Smara said...

I totally understand about losing friends, I've lost tons this year too. Most of them just because we changed and drifted apart, and it's for the better.. but two really stick out in my mind. One, a guy, he was my bestfriend, but he got a girlfriend and stopped talking to me .. the other friend, was a girl .. we got to be pretty close and she used to go to my youth group and then all of a sudden she decided she hated everyone there, and we all realized she had been lying for attention about her dad beating her and her parents threatening to kick her out and some disease she apparently had that was killing her .. and all this other crap and she used to be this sweet innocent person all SAVE THE WORLD, DON'T LITTER and NO CUSSING and SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU! But now she is a HUGE partier and all anti-church and a big druggie and swears all the time and everything all because of her boyfriend that treats her like crap .. It's sad and I miss her like crazy :/

Anonymous said...

Good friends are extremely hard to come by, and I am so sorry that you havent found a really good one yet!!! don't worry though, there are good friends out there!!! -KRosemarie

anaaaaaaishh :D said...

i.m not really sure if you have an infection.. my redness seems to be going away pretty quickly. good luck with your contacts:)

unknown to man-kind said...

sorry about the three friends you lost! good friends are hard to find. :)

Anonymous said...

few and far between

Darling. said...

That is just sad about the friends you lost. It's really hard to find friends you can trust with just about anything. I would know.
Great blog. You seem like a really great person to be friends with, so that's just their(your friends)loss.

Nicole Linette said...

Aww. Damn.
I hate it when friendships fall apart, especially with guys. Because (for me) they seem harder to build. You have good judgement and even though there will be some people that are left behind, in the end, you'll know who counts most in your life.


Peace&love,
nicole.

turnabout said...

No need to thank me for visiting. You're blog is nice. I love it! =)

Tatiana said...

Hi! Well loosing friends is always a bad thing, but I think that maybe you can have a friendship with Matt or Huston or both when some time had passed and things calm down. With Colleen well I think is more difficult I mean if she lies is kind of impossible to trust her. Anyway I was jus passing by to say that I love your blog, I don't want my comment to be long and boring for you :S
XOXO
Tatis

i'm more like me said...

so much 4 my pome being a haiku, but the thing is many things become something they were never ment to be

Human Racing said...

It's so hard to find long lasting friends. I lost a couple of my best friends from middle school my freshman year. Those were some pretty extreme cases.

Jen said...

I'm so sorry ur friendships were ruined :( Friends are everything, and sometimes we don't realize how important our friends are, we take them for granted until they disappear from our lives. I have a couple friends I wish could read ur blog and realize how ridiculous it is to end a friendship because of one stupid thing. But i truly believe everything happens for a reason, even a broken friendship.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :-)

Tatiana said...

Hi! Well I'm not sure about if you shold or shouldn't approach them, I just think that is a matter of time. If they are interest in your friendship they ended forgetting everything and becoming friends again with you, I'm not sure about it I mean every boy is different so...Anyway hope my "help" is good for you!
XOXO
Tatis
P.S: Thanks for comment in my blog!

Stephanie said...

Friendship is very very fragile.. I agree. You can have friends, even best friends, but that can be ruined by the smallest things--- That can turn into bigger things. -_-
I had best friends, and when I left them for another school, I really hurt them by leaving. I haven't been able to make friends the same way again.
Anyway, awesome post.
P.S. You're not a poser if you're not claiming your pro pic as you. The girl that was posing as my friend was claiming it was her. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

chloe33 said...

I totally get what you're going through. Believe it or not, I went through a similar phase about a year ago. I had a best friend who was just like Colleen. She made up lies about herself and others, including me, to get attention. She would make up ridiculous lies about herself, even her own family, to get people's attention. At first I ignored her little lies and thought they were not a big deal, but as time went on, the lies kept getting bigger and bigger. I just couldn't handle it and confronted her like you did. I feel like a coward because I did it on internet at first..I should have said it in person.
I just have to learn how to face the fact and deal with it.

hope you feel better. :]

Samuel Lago Pedro said...

Yeah, good friends are really hard to find. But they exist. So the hardest part of the job is to find them. Don't give up... U'll. ;)

I think friends are really important, cuz when we are down they can support us. I love my friends... ;)

I'm a lucky person, I've got a lot of good friends.

Sianne I Am said...

I've gone through things like this too. I know its hard but everything happens for a reason. I'm glad you posted this because I think I'm gonna need to come back to it a few times. :)

Anonymous said...

the only way i lost friends/friend was i had to move to another city or they would move or they would die. i use to live in chicago so that explains their death or moving to another city.
*sigh*
God!! I love your blog i read every single word!!
Sully

Teee ! said...

friendship is definately a treasure and once to hold onto it hold on to it tightly and try not to make cracks in it, but most importantly try not to break it. your mom is right when she said you need at least one good friend, you really do. but good friends are the ones who are hard to find and are irreplaceable.
don't be hard on yourself about giving advice and then not following it yourself, sometimes i do that and my friends are like "you told me to do that, so why don't you" kinda thing and it gets me down but then i remember that i'm stronger (: so don't sweat anything. you seem strong, and you'll make it through (:

Jordyn said...

too true. way too true. im so sorry for all of your lost friendships, and i know how it feels--to lose good things--and i just hope one day things will change