Sunday, January 3, 2010

Beauty vs. The Brain


Beauty is a contest isn't it?
Women. Let's admit it, we sometimes do the craziest things to look gorgeous. From getting our eyebrows threaded to even botox, the competition never seems to end. We would spend ample amount of money every single year on all sorts of beauty products. Men would look at our dressers and bathrooms with confusion. What is this? What does this thing do? Or how my guyfriends would put it, "Dude, what's the point?" The point is, is that women get too much attention. It's quite simple. From the red carpet to even Weddings, women are always being looked at. If a woman gains weight, oh my the whole world seems to notice and point. Whereas if a man gains weight, no one says a word. How come? Why does society work like this? Women often fell pressure to look pretty whenever they step out of the house. I often feel that way too. I spend twenty minutes on makeup everyday. I can't even go to school without wearing makeup. I do not know if I should classify this behavior as superficiality or insecurity. I have a question and I'm curious to see what kind of answers I will get.
What makes a man look twice?
Beauty, right? Is that way women nearly kill themselves to look beautiful all the time? Threading eyebrows DO kill. Dear Lord.
But, what makes not only a man stay, but everyone else?
Brains.

The brain is a wondrous thing. It's amazing how many memories and information this body part can store. You would think that the brain needs a new battery every single day. I would like to inform myself how the brain really operates and how on earth some people gain such strong, natural, intelligence. Intelligence looks attractive on everyone. "Knowledge is power", and it can lead you to new discoveries and send you to the highest of clouds. Intelligence leads to strength, and what human being wouldn't want that? I recall a very distinct memory of myself way back in middle school about my craving, the ultimate obession of gaining intelligence. I read and studied literally every single day. Reading lead me to my twelfth grade reading comprehension ability, the following. Studying hard (avoiding trifling boys and drama) led to good, strong, a's and b's. The intelligence gave me attention I desired from peers. I wanted more and more. I even attempted to read the dictionary for pity's sake. In middle school, I wasn't considered about beauty in the least. I really wasn't. I didn't wear makeup and I really didn't want to. I just wasn't interested nor did I care. Sure, I took care of myself-shower, teeth, hair, but when it came to physical attraction...nah.

Obviously, I gave in of course. Not until my sophomore year of highschool. I gave in to daily makeup. I'm a junior now. Many girls consider that "late," but I feel sorry for those who started off early. Why?
They never got to discover what natural beauty is and how to appreciate it.
Now I'm just like everyone else-makeup is my dependent and achieving beauty overall, is a distraction. Women, wouldn't we like to be praised for our brains instead of our beauty?
Yes. What a stupid question, right?
Yeah, but how many of us would truthfully say yes? Which of the two(beauty or brains) would give you the attention that our hearts desire? Which of the two gives us the attention that we all can't help but want?
Question: Why do fathers often freak out when their daughters are starting to wear makeup?
Well, why do we honestly wear makeup, ladies? We wear it, not only to feel comfortable in our skin, but we wear it because of men. In our hearts, it is a natural desire for us to please men, and men respond to beauty.

"You really can't have both, my cousin Jonah had told me one day. People are usually half and half. I haven't met anyone who was so beautiful and had Einstein's brains."
Jonah.
Where the heck have you been? Hahaha. Silly boy. They're everywhere! Look at Emma Watson, for example! Why, it's all of us, right? Every women is intelligent in her own way and we are all gorgeous.
Let's focus on what is more important, shall we ladies. Let's see what our Father says about outward appearance:
Proverbs 31:30-"Charm is deceptive, and beauty if fleeting:but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Beauty is fleeting. What is the definition of fleeting? Ah, yes.
There is our answer.

2 comments:

Mella said...

From the pressure of the media, of course. And the fact that feminism has been almost completely overlooked. I mean sure it's there and every now and then you'll get some punkass in a mini-skirt (belt) whining on about how women are treated like trash and are encouraged to dress like hoes.

Um, hello; you don't like, ya don't do?

Anyway. I suppose I'm guess I'm more of a man, I only wear make-up when I feel the need and know that we are respected for who we are. :)

In a nutshell; I agree. :D

Jeni said...

I completely agree with all of this.