Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Power Of Confession

Hmm, how shall I begin this? Gosh, I'm at loss for words. I cannot describe on how powerful confession is. For those who are not Catholic, "confession" is when a catholic confesses his or her sins to a priest. It is meant to relive us from our wrongdoings and sends a message to God that we are truly sorry for our sins. During confession, we also make a vow that we will try not to sin again. In this generation, sin lurks in every corner. It is like a black cloud that constantly hovers over us, crushing us with storms and striking lightning bolts. And that is why, confession is beautiful gift that God granted us.

I attend a Catholic high school in Atlanta, Ga( I will not reveal the name) and confessions are held every Friday at the school's chapel during all lunch periods. During this past week, I unintentionally broke one of my Lenten promises. (Long story)I vowed not to eat chocolate till Easter and... I broke it. Callie, a good friend of mine reminded me of our school's confessions. I made a choice to visit the chapel as soon as my friend had reminded me. Naturally, my heart was thundering in my chest. Confessions always me me tense because, the priest would know my confessions. He would hear every word spoken from my lips. I feared of nasty glares and scoffs but, that would never happen. After all, I was confessing to God, not the priest.

My confession was quick. Normally, I would write down my sins on paper but, yesterday's was unplanned. After the priest dismissed me, I was given my penance and a cool, sweet, breeze of happiness and relief overcame me. The rest of my school day was simply amazing. My classes went on smoothly, I actually had fun in algebra class!( I loath algebra with a heart burning passion) I could actually fill the power of confession. I felt so good!! Not because it was Friday, but I was thankful that I was forgiven for all the sins I committed. I was cleansed with the Holy Spirit and with God's eternal grace. Oh, if only I can go everyday! If only I could go down on my knees every blessed day and confess with my aching heart and soul! I crave this feeling. Praise God!

- Happy Saturday everyone! Off to study. Will be back! <3

1 comment:

Katrina :) said...

I know exactly how you feel. Confession is great, Isn't it? I went to a catholic school most of my life, disregarding the week I moved and went to a public school because I was on the waiting list at my old school. I was picked on daily, mulitple (haha can't spell it) times a day and the teachers wouldn't do anything. So my mom pulled me out and has been homeschooling me since 6th grade.

I also hate algebra and am glad to start geometry soon. I love the geometric shapes! lol

Trina